How Tattooing Really Works
1. Tattooing causes a wound that alerts the body to begin the inflammatory process, calling immune system cells to the wound site to begin repairing the skin. Specialized cells called macrophages eat the invading material (ink) in an attempt to clean up the inflammatory mess.
2. As these cells travel through the lymphatic system, some of them are carried back with a belly full of dye into the lymph nodes while others remain in the dermis. With no way to dispose of the pigment, the dyes inside them remain visible through the skin.
3. Some of the ink particles are also suspended in the gel-like matrix of the dermis, while others are engulfed by dermal cells called fibroblasts. Initially, ink is deposited into the epidermis as well, but as the skin heals, the damaged epidermal cells are shed and replaced by new, dye-free cells with the topmost layer peeling off like a healing sunburn.
4. Dermal cells, however, remain in place until they die. When they do, they are taken up, ink and all, by younger cells nearby so the ink stays where it is.
5. So a single tattoo may not truly last forever, but tattoos have been around longer than any existing culture. And their continuing popularity means that the art of tattooing is here to stay.
From the TED-Ed Lesson What makes tattoos permanent? - Claudia Aguirre
Animation by TOGETHER
Ink this interestingness onto your neurons.
The Okey Doke Tattoo Shop, Toronto
Walkin mixtape with love #traditional #tattoo #mixtape #hand #remix
Robert Ryan - Electric Tattoo- New Jersey -2014
Iain Sellar as featured on Swallows&Daggers.
Thanks Emma by capillitupou http://ift.tt/1ici5ay
Check out @donyarian_ert and @debyarian on last sparrow. These are two of my favorite people. Check em out.
Check out this interview - and many others - on lastsparrowtattoo.com
Another from Saturday at the @icelandictattooconvention I put this new one on the very first person I tattooed when I came to Iceland for the first time 3 years ago. This place has been good to me from day one and I have the amazing people @reykjavikink to thank for it 😁😁😁😁😁 #tattoo #tattooerman #tattoos #reykjavik #reyjavikink #rose #shin #icelandtattooconvention #eightofswords #guyursitti (at Reykjavik, Iceland)
Tattoo by Guy Ursitti
Some day I will make it to the Icelandic Tattoo Convention
Tattoo done by Michael Chernov.
"Fiat lux" = "let there be light" in Latin
Late night one super fun
Ron Henry Wells
Ron Henry Wells kills it. Getting tattooed by him in Montreal in September.
Page 1 of 42